Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Just Some Guy

To me, Dylan was Just Some Guy. We met on some stupid message board (that became The Bored) and wrote crappy short stories and posts and at some point I bet we even discussed music. Actually, I don't think we ever did. I think we tried to critique everyone's work and did it to each other as well.

Lora told me he died because I didn't know any better and since we never met. He's one of three Canadians I admit to knowing. Lora's the second. My friend The Canadian is the third but he's in Canada now so he can go fuck off. Not really, but he's a die-hard Sens fan.

On the full circle standpoint, Dylan's now immortalized in his very own official MGBlog and I think he'd get a kick out of that. Maybe not. I didn't know him at all in real life. Our relationship existed solely on the Internet, doing grammar checks on shitty message board poetry and me pretending to be Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

In my sophomore year of college, he told me he would send me a book that would change my life. By this point, we only occasionally traded messages and I thought it was a joke. I had a rough time so far at school and did a fairly dumb thing that almost got me booted out. So I get back to the shitty midtown dorm one day and find a copy of Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting: The Astonishing Power of Feelings.

I still haven't read past p. 20 and I figure I should soon. I owe it to him for the shipping, at least.

A bit after that came the last email I'd get from him.

From : Dylan Webber
Sent : Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:28 AM
To : doc_moyer@hotmail.com
Subject : you're a real piece of shit

you know that?

I do get a kick out of your writing, though.

(I'm required to say something to this effect every six months, and I thought I'd go with the bare minimum this year)


a month before, in response to shitty poetry he wrote this:

show not tell, doc.
and
chopping up prose in little blocks fit for consumption is not poetry! it's word sushi.
which may be the trade you're better suited for.
Posted by: JSG at February 20, 2005 11:09 AM




i still say word sushi when talking about poetry. and i'm going to steal this line from takashi miike when i say thank you fuck you dylan. i hope it never hurts.

now i've got to read the rest of the book. you evil, scheming dead poet society, you. fuck.

1 Comments:

Blogger lora said...

you admit to knowing me? that's sweet i think. ray made a post too. so did i. but it was just bukowski.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home